AW: AW: SPE & Interrupt context (was how to make use of SPE instructions)

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Fri Jan 30 16:37:29 AEDT 2015

Phew, that is going deeper than I expected.

I'm a newbie in the topic of interrupts and FPU/SPE registers. Nevertheless
enforcing enable_kernel_spe() to only be available outside of interrupt
context sounds too restrictive for me. Also checking for thread/CPU flags
of an interrupted process is nothing I can or want to implement. There
might be the risk that I'm starting something that will be too complex
for me.

BUT! Given the fact that SPE registers are only extended GPRs and my
algorithm needs just 10 of them I can live with the following design.

- I must already save several non-volatile registers. Putting the 64 bit values
into them would require me to save their contents with evstdd instead of
stw. Of course stack alignment to 8 bytes required. So only a few alignment
instructions needed additionally during initialization.

- During function cleanup I will restore the registers the same way.

- In case I interrupted myself, I might have saved sensitive data of another
thread on my stack. So I will zero that area after I restored the registers.
That needs an additional 10 instructions. In contrast to ~2000 instructions
for one sha256 round that should be neglectable.

This little overhead will save me lots of trouble at other locations:

- I can avoid checking for an interrupt context.

- I don't need a fallback to the generic implementation.

Thinking about it more and more I think I performance will stay the same.
Can you confirm that this will work? If yes I will send a v2 patch.

Markus