AW: SPE & Interrupt context (was how to make use of SPE instructions)

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Jan 30 11:49:55 AEDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-28 at 05:00 +0000, Markus Stockhausen wrote:
> [...]

There isn't one.

> I can see that enable_kernel_spe() does something with the
> MSR_SPE flag, but I have no idea  how to determine if I'm allowed
> to enable SPE although I'm inside an interrupt context.

As with x86, you'd want to check whether the kernel interrupted
userspace.  I don't know what x86 is doing with TS, but on PPC you might
check whether the interrupted thread had MSR_FP enabled.

> I'm asking because from the previous posts I conclude that
> running SPE instructions inside an interrupt might be critical.
> Because of registers not being saved?

Yes.  Currently callers of enable_kernel_spe() only need to disable
preemption, not interrupts.

> Or can I just save the register contents myself and interrupt
> context is no longer a showstopper?

If you only need a small number of registers that might be reasonable,
but if you need a bunch then you don't want to save them when you don't
have to.

Another option is to change enable_kernel_spe() to require interrupts to
be disabled.

-Scott