using general IRQs

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Aug 11 12:29:26 AEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-08-10 at 13:40 +0300, Ran Shalit wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > MPC8349 has general IRQ numbered 0-7,
> > It is required to bind these IRQs with some routine , i.e. they are
> > not used with any specific driver.
> >
> > - Should they be configured as gpios in device tree so that we can use
> > the gpio as irq in linux ? Is there any example ?
> > - After configuration, can the gpios be used in linux using the
> > standard /sys/class/gpio ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ran

What do you mean by "general IRQ"?  Do you mean external IRQs?

> I am trying to use only IRQ4, so I have tried to configure it as
> following in device tree:
>
> device tree:
>
>   intc at 0{
>  compatible = "intc";
>  #address-cells = <1>;
>  #size-cells = <0>;
>  reg = <0 0x1000>;
>  interrupts = <4 0x8>;
>   };
>
> But I don't see IRQ4 listed in the interrupt list:
> # cat /proc/interrupts

/proc/interrupts shows virtual interrupts, which do not necessarily
correspond to anything in the device tree.  In particular, virtual interrupts
under 16 are reserved for ISA interrupts, and thus any mpic interrupts in
that range will be remapped.

Additionally, putting an interrupt in the device tree does not make it show
up in /proc/interrupts.  Only interrupts for which a driver has registered a
handler will show up in /proc/interrupts.

-Scott