bit fields && data tearing

Peter Hurley peter at hurleysoftware.com
Sat Sep 6 06:01:35 EST 2014

On 09/05/2014 03:52 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:31:09AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>> compiler: Allow 1- and 2-byte smp_load_acquire() and smp_store_release()
>>
>> CPUs without single-byte and double-byte loads and stores place some
>> "interesting" requirements on concurrent code.  For example (adapted
>> from Peter Hurley's test code), suppose we have the following structure:
>>
>>     	struct foo {
>>     		spinlock_t lock1;
>>     		spinlock_t lock2;
>>     		char a; /* Protected by lock1. */
>>     		char b; /* Protected by lock2. */
>>     	};
>>     	struct foo *foop;
>>
>> Of course, it is common (and good) practice to place data protected
>> by different locks in separate cache lines.  However, if the locks are
>> rarely acquired (for example, only in rare error cases), and there are
>> a great many instances of the data structure, then memory footprint can
>> trump false-sharing concerns, so that it can be better to place them in
>> the same cache cache line as above.
>>
>> But if the CPU does not support single-byte loads and stores, a store
>> to foop->a will do a non-atomic read-modify-write operation on foop->b,
>> which will come as a nasty surprise to someone holding foop->lock2.  So we
>> now require CPUs to support single-byte and double-byte loads and stores.
>> Therefore, this commit adjusts the definition of __native_word() to allow
>> these sizes to be used by smp_load_acquire() and smp_store_release().
>
> So does this patch depends on a patch that removes pre EV56 alpha
> support? I'm all for removing that, but I need to see the patch merged
> before we can do this.

I'm working on that but Alpha's Kconfig is not quite straightforward.

... and I'm wondering if I should _remove_ pre-EV56 configurations or
move the default choice and produce a warning about unsupported Alpha
CPUs instead?

Regards,
Peter Hurley

[ How does one do a red popup in kbuild?
  The 'comment' approach is too subtle.
]