bit fields && data tearing

Peter Hurley peter at hurleysoftware.com
Fri Sep 5 22:31:06 EST 2014

[ +cc linux-arm ]

Hi David,

On 09/05/2014 04:30 AM, David Laight wrote:
> I've seen gcc generate 32bit accesses for 16bit structure members on arm.
> It does this because of the more limited range of the offsets for the 16bit access.
> OTOH I don't know if it ever did this for writes - so it may be moot.

Can you recall the particulars, like what ARM config or what code?

I tried an overly-simple test to see if gcc would bump up to the word load for
the 12-bit offset mode, but it stuck with register offset rather than immediate
offset. [I used the compiler options for allmodconfig and a 4.8 cross-compiler.]

Maybe the test doesn't generate enough register pressure on the compiler?

Regards,
Peter Hurley

#define ARRAY_SIZE(x)  (sizeof(x)/sizeof((x)[0]))

struct x {
	long unused[64];
	short b[12];
	int unused2[10];