bit fields && data tearing

David Laight David.Laight at ACULAB.COM
Fri Sep 5 18:30:03 EST 2014

From: Paul E. McKenney
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 10:47:24PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
> > Hi James,

> > > This is a bit unclear.  Presumably you're talking about definiteness of
> > > the outcome (as in what's seen after multiple stores to the same
> > > variable).
> >
> > No, the last conditions refers to adjacent byte stores from different
> > cpu contexts (either interrupt or SMP).
> >
> > > The guarantees are only for natural width on Parisc as well,
> > > so you would get a mess if you did byte stores to adjacent memory
> > > locations.
> >
> > For a simple test like:
> >
> > struct x {
> > 	long a;
> > 	char b;
> > 	char c;
> > 	char d;
> > 	char e;
> > };
> >
> > void store_bc(struct x *p) {
> > 	p->b = 1;
> > 	p->c = 2;
> > }
> >
> > on parisc, gcc generates separate byte stores
> >
> > void store_bc(struct x *p) {
> >    0:	34 1c 00 02 	ldi 1,ret0
> >    4:	0f 5c 12 08 	stb ret0,4(r26)
> >    8:	34 1c 00 04 	ldi 2,ret0
> >    c:	e8 40 c0 00 	bv r0(rp)
> >   10:	0f 5c 12 0a 	stb ret0,5(r26)
> >
> > which appears to confirm that on parisc adjacent byte data
> > is safe from corruption by concurrent cpu updates; that is,
> >
> > CPU 0                | CPU 1
> > p->b = 1             | p->c = 2
> >
> > will result in p->b == 1 && p->c == 2 (assume both values
> > were 0 before the call to store_bc()).
>
> What Peter said.  I would ask for suggestions for better wording, but
> I would much rather be able to say that single-byte reads and writes
> are atomic and that aligned-short reads and writes are also atomic.
>
> Thus far, it looks like we lose only very old Alpha systems, so unless
> I hear otherwise, I update my patch to outlaw these very old systems.

People with old Alphas can run NetBSD instead, along with those who have real VAXen :-)

I've seen gcc generate 32bit accesses for 16bit structure members on arm.
It does this because of the more limited range of the offsets for the 16bit access.
OTOH I don't know if it ever did this for writes - so it may be moot.

	David