questions on CONFIG_PPC_ADV_DEBUG_REGS, DBCR0_BRT, and DBCR0_ACTIVE_EVENTS

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue May 20 03:47:57 EST 2014

On Sun, 2014-05-18 at 16:38 -0700, shiva7 wrote:
> Thanks Scott.
>
> Apologize for not quoting the old email reference.

You did it again. :-)

> I assumed the old archive content always will be in the trail.

It's in the archives (as I noted), but it's a pain to search for it
versus having relevant bits quoted.

> Any idea whether the DBCR0 BRT bit actually works(??),

Do you have reason to believe that it might not?

> if I add  DBCR0 under sys_debug context call? because this code seems
> like direct porting and wondering why on first place not included under
> debug_context call.

Again, it was probably an oversight, but the people who might know for
sure are no longer reachable.

> And also, anything special required for "server" family application code
> porting here ?? as because in server family the trace exception used to viz
> NORMAL exception proglog and uses SRR0 and SRR1 but in this ISA/embedded
> case have dedicated DEBUG_DEBUG prolog and dedicated registers DSRR0 and
> DSRR1.

IIRC the branch taken mechanism does have different semantics than the
equivalent mechanism on server.  You can find discussion of this in the
archives. :-)

-Scott