[v2,2/2] powerpc/mpc85xx: add support for Keymile's kmcoge4 board

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Mar 21 08:30:36 EST 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 09:42 +0100, Valentin Longchamp wrote:
> On 03/20/2014 12:08 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:50:07PM +0100, Valentin Longchamp wrote:
> >> +		reset_cpld at 1,0 {
> >> +			interrupt-controller;
> >> +			#interrupt-cells = <2>;
> >> +			reg = <1 0 0x80>;
> >> +			interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;
> >> +			interrupts = <
> >> +				4 1 0 0
> >> +				5 1 0 0>;
> >> +		};
> >> +
> >> +		chassis_mgmt at 3,0 {
> >> +			interrupt-controller;
> >> +			#interrupt-cells = <2>;
> >> +			reg = <3 0 0x100>;
> >> +			interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;
> >> +			interrupts = <6 1 0 0>;
> >> +		};
> >
> > Dashes are preferred to underscores in device trees.
>
> OK.
>

> > More importantly, these nodes need proper compatibles and bindings.  Once
> > that's done, the name for the nodes should probably be
> > "board_control at whatever" for both.
> >

> The first one can be board-ctrl.

board-control (rather than board-ctrl) is already used in several device
trees, so it would be good to be consistent.

> The second however manages things that are
> beyond this board and important for other boards in the chassis, so I think
> chassis-mgmt is correct.

OK.

> For the binding/compatbiles issues: in the first discussion I had omitted these
> nodes because these are not available (and honestly for such FPGAs I doubt they
> will ever be mainlined). We discussed it and concluded that the DTS should
> describe the HW and not the drivers available in the kernel so I have now added
> them. Do you want me to add the compatible strings we use in our tree even
> though there are no bindings ? Leave them as is ? Or drop them ?

Include the compatibles, and add bindings.  The bindings should state
the compatible string used, what the interrupt specifier format is, and
what reg/interrupts represents -- especially in the case of the reset
cpld node, which has two interrupts.  Make it clear which interrupt goes
first and which goes second.

It doesn't matter whether the driver will ever be mainlined.

-Scott