OF_DYNAMIC node lifecycle

Nathan Fontenot nfont at austin.ibm.com
Sat Jun 28 00:41:05 EST 2014

On 06/27/2014 07:40 AM, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Jun 27, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> [snip]
>

>>> This would affect property updates. When doing a property update the
>>> notifier passes a pointer to a struct containing a device node
>>> pointer and a pointer to the new device node property.
>>>
>>> I know specifically in memory property updates we grab the current version
>>> of the device tree property and compare it to the 'new' version that
>>> was passed to us.
>>>
>>> If you want to do the DT update before calling the notifier that should be
>>> fine for the memory update code and would only require very minimal
>>> updates.
>>
>> We could change the notifier to include both the old and new values.
>>
>> I've been thinking about changing the notifier format anyway. With the
>> addition of bulk changes, it would be more efficient to send a single
>> notifier for all the changes with a link to the change set instead of
>> one at a time.
>>

> That one has my vote. We also need a bulk change notifier, and for device
> driver use, some kind of wrapper for specific node/properties.
>
> At the moment a notification is fired for any change in the tree, we might
> work something more fine-grained. Like 'watch this node & subnodes', or
> 'watch this property (or set of properties)'

Both of these updates would work.

For property updates the only real requirement is that we can get to the new
and the old version of the property value.

I like the idea of being able to watch a single node/property. My experience
is that most code is only interested in updates to a single node or
property. Being able to avoid notifying everyone that has registered a
notifier for DT updates for every change would be nice.

-Nathan
-Nathan