OF_DYNAMIC node lifecycle

Pantelis Antoniou pantelis.antoniou at konsulko.com
Fri Jun 27 22:40:17 EST 2014

Hi Grant,

On Jun 27, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:59:31 -0500, Nathan Fontenot <nfont at austin.ibm.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> This would affect property updates. When doing a property update the
>> notifier passes a pointer to a struct containing a device node
>> pointer and a pointer to the new device node property.
>>
>> I know specifically in memory property updates we grab the current version
>> of the device tree property and compare it to the 'new' version that
>> was passed to us.
>>
>> If you want to do the DT update before calling the notifier that should be
>> fine for the memory update code and would only require very minimal
>> updates.
>
> We could change the notifier to include both the old and new values.
>
> I've been thinking about changing the notifier format anyway. With the
> addition of bulk changes, it would be more efficient to send a single
> notifier for all the changes with a link to the change set instead of
> one at a time.

That one has my vote. We also need a bulk change notifier, and for device
driver use, some kind of wrapper for specific node/properties.

At the moment a notification is fired for any change in the tree, we might
work something more fine-grained. Like 'watch this node & subnodes', or
'watch this property (or set of properties)'

> g.

Regards

-- Pantelis