[git pull] Please pull abiv2 branch

Philippe Bergheaud felix at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 29 19:38:33 EST 2014

Rusty Russell wrote:
> Philippe Bergheaud <felix at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>
>>Anton Blanchard wrote:
>>
>>>Here are the ABIv2 patches rebased against 3.15-rc2.
>>
>>After recompiling 3.15-rc2 with the ABIv2 patches,
>>I see the following line in Modules.symvers:
>>
>>     0x00000000 TOC. vmlinux EXPORT_SYMBOL
>>
>>Kernel will not load modules because TOC. has no CRC.
>>Is this expected ? Shouldn't TOC. have a CRC ?
>

> What happens when you try to load a module?  It should work...

My mistake, sorry: kernel 3.15-rc2 crashes at boot, in the SLES12
Beta5 environment that I am using, before any module load attempt.

The problem happens with the SLES12 kernel of the day 3.12.17,
plus the backported ABIv2 patch set.  Boot fails with:
     kernel: ibmveth: no symbol version for TOC.
     kernel: ibmveth: Unknown symbol TOC. (err -22)
     kernel: scsi_mod: no symbol version for TOC.
     kernel: scsi_mod: Unknown symbol TOC. (err -22)

In the rescue shell, repeating a plain modprobe fails again:
     :/# modprobe scsi_mod
     modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'scsi_mod': Invalid argument

And finally, modprobe succeeds with --force:
     :/# modprobe --force scsi_mod
     scsi_mod: module has bad taint, not creating trace events

Philippe