[Suggestion] PowerPC: kernel: cross compiling issue with allmodconfig

Chen Gang gang.chen at asianux.com
Thu Mar 21 16:55:37 EST 2013

Hello All:

summary:
  the root cause is no enough room in exception area (0x5500 -- 0x7000).

  it is caused by the patches "for saving/restre PPR":
    they consumed much space of this area (0x5500 -- 0x7000).
    for pseries_defconfig and ppc64_defconfig, it is still ok.
    but for allmodconfig and "some additional config", it will cause issue.

  the solving patch "Make room in exception vector area" can make room larger.
    it can let "some additional config" ok.
    but for allmodconfig, it is still not enough.

details
  reason:
    it is caused by:
       commit number: 13e7a8e846c2ea38a552b986ea49332f965bbb7a
       commit number: 44e9309f1f357794b7ae93d5f3e3e6f11d2b8a7f
    they are "for saving/restore PPR"
    by Haren Myneni <haren at linux.vnet.ibm.com> Thu, 6 Dec 2012
    compiling result:
      pseries_defconfig: pass   (cpu for POWER7)
      ppc64_defconfig:   pass   (cpu for POWER7)
      allmodconfig:      failed (cpu for POWER7)

  analysing:
    solving patch:
      commit number: 61383407677aef05928541a00678591abea2d84c