[RFC] powerpc: put the common parts of the ppc64*defconfigs in a Kconfig file

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Aug 12 09:59:41 EST 2013

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your comments.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:41:54 -0500 Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
> > We cannot put the unsetting of config options in the Kconfig file, nor
> > the integer or string options.
> >
> > I checked that after this we get the same .config files generated (except
> > for the addition of the new PPC64_DEFCONFIG* config options.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> > ---
> > arch/powerpc/Kconfig                  |   2 +
> > arch/powerpc/configs/Kconfig          | 295 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > arch/powerpc/configs/ppc64_defconfig  | 301 +---------------------------------
> > arch/powerpc/configs/ppc64e_defconfig | 297 +--------------------------------
> > 4 files changed, 302 insertions(+), 593 deletions(-)
> > create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/Kconfig
>
> Am I missing something here, isn't this a bit of a maintenance pain if
> symbol names change?

I don't think it is any worse than what we have, and in fact may be
better.  Currently if someone renames a config option, they usually do
nothing about the defconfigs, this way, at least if the option is in
configs/Kconfig, they may update it.

> Also, how much of a benefit is this?

There has been some discussion about Anton adding 2 new defconfigs that
are very similar to the current defconfigs.   This is an attempt to
reduce the amount of unnecessary repetition and churn.

A similar thing could be done for other sets of similar defconfig files.

There was a plan a few years ago to replace the defconfigs with Kconfig
fragments and this would be a step along that path.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au