Failure to detect PCI card

Peter LaDow petela at gocougs.wsu.edu
Tue Aug 6 04:36:55 EST 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Anatolij Gustschin <agust at denx.de> wrote:
> Maybe this card needs bigger delay to respond after PCI reset. You can
> try to re-build U-Boot with defined CONFIG_PCI_BOOTDELAY. Use 1000
> for CONFIG_PCI_BOOTDELAY in the first step and if detection works,
> try to decrease this value.

I'll give this a try.  But a generic question.  Does the kernel depend
upon u-boot to initialize the PCI configuration?

And, I know this is a u-boot specific question, but will u-boot ignore
any PCI device it doesn't know about?  Thus I have to enable a
specific device in the u-boot configuration for u-boot to recognize it
(and from there, have the kernel recognize it)?

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Is there any chance that this card has some BIOS (like most graphic
> adapters do) which needs to run to put the card into an operative
> state (like by initializing any DRAM memory on the card)?  OK, I would
> normally not expect such on a 10/100 PCI Ethernet network adapter, but
> I don't know this card at all...

Not that I'm aware of.  I suppose the EEPROM to read in the
configuration/MAC address?  But I wouldn't think an option ROM would
be present.

> Do you know if this card works in any other non-x86 system at all?

Don't have any other non-x86 systems to try out.  We have an
MPC8349E-mITX board, but the PCI slot doesn't detect anything at all
(not even our 82540EM based board).  And this card doesn't work there
either.

Thanks,
Pete