Failure to detect PCI card

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 6 04:32:09 EST 2013

Dear Peter LaDow,

In message <CAN8Q1Ed-YtD1L7e9TaJyELdcz5Rcfdi0mdwU_H6HAx0-3FJ4Lg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I have a PCI card (a Netgear FA331, vendor:device 100b:0020) that is
> failing to be detected by our PPC platform.  This device works just
> fine in a PC, and other cards work just fine in the same PCI slot (we
> have an Intel 82540EM based card that works).
>
> But for some reason, neither u-boot nor the kernel detect this card.
> Any ideas why this might be?

Is there any chance that this card has some BIOS (like most graphic
adapters do) which needs to run to put the card into an operative
state (like by initializing any DRAM memory on the card)?  OK, I would
normally not expect such on a 10/100 PCI Ethernet network adapter, but
I don't know this card at all...

Do you know if this card works in any other non-x86 system at all?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from a recent meeting:   "We are going to continue having these
meetings everyday until I find out why no work is getting done."