Build regressions/improvements in v3.7-rc5

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Tue Nov 13 21:39:13 EST 2012

Hi Scott,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:
> On 11/12/2012 03:02:46 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
>> <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> > JFYI, when comparing v3.7-rc5 to v3.7-rc4[3], the summaries are:
>> >   - build errors: +14/-4
>>
>> 14 regressions:
>>   + drivers/virt/fsl_hypervisor.c: error: 'MSR_GS' undeclared (first
>> use in this function):  => 799:93
>
> These reports would be more useful if the actual .config were provided,
> rather than just saying "powerpc randconfig".

This can be obtained from the kissb build system.
[1] http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/head/5614/ (all 117 configs)

> I doubt this particular one is a regression; it looks like the dependencies

Yeah, regressions in randconfigs can be misleading.
Still, they're build failures.

> have always been too weak (patch sent) and you're just comparing different
> randomly-generated configs.

Thanks for your patch!

>> powerpc-randconfig
>>
>>   + error: relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 against symbol
>> `._mcount' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.o:
>> (.text+0x1ff9eb8) => (.text+0x1ffa274), (.text+0x1ff7840)
>>
>> powerpc-allyesconfig
>

> It's been over 3 years since powerpc-allyesconfig built (it's just too big
> for the relocation model the kernel uses) -- how is this a regression?

It's a regression because it didn't complain about ".mcount" in the
previous run.

But I'll start stripping them from the rc-incremental reports.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds