pread() and pwrite() system calls

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Sat May 26 02:45:51 EST 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 02:29:06PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> We have a system with linux 2.6.32 and the somewhat archaic
> uClibc 0.9.27 (but I'm not sure the current version is
> any better, and I think there are binary compatibility
> if we update).
>
> I've just discovered that pread() is 'implemented'
> by using 3 lseek() system calls and read().
> (the same is true for the 64bit versions).
>
> I thought that pread() was supposed to be atomic
> (so usable concurrently by multiple threads) which
> means that this implementation is completely broken.
>
> I've not looked to see what glibc does.
>
> I can see that part of the problem is the alignment
> of the 64bit value on the argument list of syscall()
> (when the register save area is cast to a sycall
> argument structure).
> But it also looks as though the uClibc syscall()
> stub can only pass 5 arguments in registers, and
> pread() (with an aligned 64bit offset) requires 6.
>
> The ucLibc source seems to be predicated by __NR_pread,
> but if that were defined it would try to call
> __syscall_pread() and I can't find that anywhere.
>
> A special pread/pwrite asm stub that just copies
> r7 to r0 could be used.
>
> Would it be enough to do:
> syscall_pread_pwrite:
> 	mov 0,7
> 	sc
> 	blr
> and handle the -ve -> errno in C?

Huh? Won't fly, r0 is used for the system call number!

On the other hand, I believed PPC had no problems passing
up to 8 32 bit arguments in registers (r3 to r10), but
I may be confusing with the standard ABI for function calls.

Hmm, a quick look at kernel/entry_32.s shows that it should
be able to use at least r3 to r8, which should be sufficient.

I think that it is an uClibc problem.

	Gabriel