tlb flushing on Power

Seth Jennings sjenning at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 17 04:11:47 EST 2012

On 02/10/2012 01:14 PM, Seth Jennings wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 03:04 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>>
>>> You can look at https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/9/389 in zsmalloc-main.c,
>>> zs_[un]map_object() functions for the currently uses of set_pte() and
>>> __flush_tlb_one().

>>> Problem with set_pte_at() for us is that we don't have an mm_struct to pass
>>> because the mapping is not for a userspace process but for the kernel itself.
>>
>> Then use init_mm
>
> Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
>
>>> However, I do think this is the portable function we need to be using. Just
>>> need to figure out what to pass in for the mm_struct param.

>>> flush_tlb_page() is the portable function we should be using.  However,
>>> again, it requires a vma_area_struct.  I'm not sure what we should be
>>> passing there.
>>
>> Do you need this to be CPU local flush or global ? In the later,
>> flush_tlb_kernel_range() is the right API.
>>
>> If you want per-cpu, we'll have to add a new arch hook.
>
> We have interrupts disabled, due to the get_cpu_var() on the percpu variable
> zs_map_area in zs_map_object(), while the allocation is mapped.  So a CPU local
> would be what we need.

Hey Ben,

Just wanted to bump you again about this.  You mentioned that if I wanted to
do a cpu-local flush of a single tlb entry, that there would have to be a new
hook.  Is that right?

I've been looking through the powerpc arch and I thought that I might have
found the power analog to __flush_tlb_one() for x86 in local_flush_tlb_page()
with a NULL vma argument.  This doesn't seem to work though, as indicated
by a crash when I tried it.  After looking in tlbflush.h again, it seems
that local_flush_tlb_page() is a no-op when CONFIG_PPC_STD_MMU_64 is set,
as are almost ALL of the tlb flushing functions... which makes no sense to
me.

Any help you (or anyone) can give me would be greatly appreciated.

--
Seth