therm_pm72 units, interface

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Fri Aug 17 01:24:49 EST 2012

On Wednesday 2012-08-15 23:35, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> XServe G5 of mine started powering off more or less
>> randomly
>
>BTW. There's a new windfarm driver for these in recent kernels...
>
>Appart from that, the trip points are coming from a calibration EEPROM,
>you may want to tweak the driver to warn a bit earlier or that sort of
>things ? (Or just to print more things out ?)

If you have more things to print/offer via sysfs, I'm all for it.

The XsG5 really has (by looking into the casing): 1 PCI Fan,
6 center fans, 1 PSU intake and 1 PSU outblow fan (this last one
seems rather slow-turning, but maybe that's normal).
It is not quite clear which is which in the sysfs display.

What I did figure out: at the PROM, fans run at what seems
to be full speed (some 8000-9000 rpm?). Once Linux and therm_pm72
are loaded, the fans settle down towards 4000 rpm, and if the machine
has warmed up, that is then when it powers off. (The kernel is indeed
3.4. I now need to figure out how to place a new kernel on it without
it powering off inbetween.)