therm_pm72 units, interface

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Thu Aug 16 03:53:22 EST 2012

About a week ago, an XServe G5 of mine started powering off more or less
randomly (after 1 hour, chances were good it for it to occur). A
problematic UPS has already been cut from the loop, and today I cleaned
the machine inside out with pressurized air. So far it runs, for now at
least, with a load >= 2.0, but I am keeping an eye on whether this is a
thermal issue.

To that end, I wanted to obtain some statistics. Despite
sensors-detect(8) loads lm87.ko for me, running sensors(1) shows no
sensors. Oddly enough, I found a "kfand" process running that seems to
stem from therm_pm72.ko, which brings me to the sysfs files.

Is there a reason sensors(1) is not supported for Rackmac3,1?

Certain sysfs files have a value with an unknown unit.
"current" is likely in Ampere, temperature must be in Celsius
(because there's no way the server room is 54°F=12°C cold).

Is there a way to obtain the trip points for the hardware?

$ cd /sys/devices/temperature; grep '' *;
backside_fan_pwm:32
backside_temperature:54.000
cpu0_current:34.423
cpu0_exhaust_fan_rpm:5340
cpu0_intake_fan_rpm:5340
cpu0_temperature:72.889
cpu0_voltage:1.252
cpu1_current:34.179
cpu1_exhaust_fan_rpm:4584
cpu1_intake_fan_rpm:4584
cpu1_temperature:68.526
cpu1_voltage:1.259
dimms_temperature:53.000
grep: driver: Er en filkatalog
modalias:platform:temperature
grep: power: Er en filkatalog
slots_fan_pwm:20
slots_temperature:38.500
grep: subsystem: Er en filkatalog
uevent:DRIVER=temperature
uevent:OF_NAME=fan
uevent:OF_FULLNAME=/u3 at 0,f8000000/i2c at f8001000/fan at 15e
uevent:OF_TYPE=fcu
uevent:OF_COMPATIBLE_0=fcu
uevent:OF_COMPATIBLE_N=1
uevent:MODALIAS=of:NfanTfcuCfcu