3.5+: yaboot, Invalid memory access

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Aug 1 12:02:47 EST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:46:39PM -0700, Christian Kujau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when trying to upgrade from 3.5 (final) to today's git checkout from
> Linus' tree, yaboot cannot boot and the following is printed:
>
>   [...]
>   returning from prom_init
>   Invalid memory access at %SRR0: 00c62fd4  %SRR1: 00003030
>
> The whole message: http://nerdbynature.de/bits/3.5.0/yaboot/
>
> The Yaboot version is 1.3.16 (from Debian/testing), I haven't tried 1.3.17
> yet, its changelog does not say anything about "newer kernel support" so
> I'm not sure if this would help here.

Well the "returning from prom_init" message is from the kernel so yaboot
has done something.  We'll work out if it was the right thing ;P

I had a look at the URL you provided.

1) can you also upload you vmlinux so we can poke at it.
2) What is the dmseg.txt file there?  If you're unable to boot 3.5 how
did you get the dmesg?

Yours Tony