PowerPC radeon KMS - is it possible?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Apr 25 00:15:00 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 18:45 +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > Von: "Michel Dänzer" <michel at daenzer.net>

> > > Okay, that sounds like the approach used by arch/powerpc/mm/dma-
> > > noncoherent.c in my ("green") ears. What about the PCIGART mode?
> > > Is the driver free to use cached memory in this mode?
> >
> > Yes, it assumes PCI(e) GART to be CPU cache coherent.
> Okay. I guess it should be possible to modify it so that it makes use
> of uncacheable memory - just for testing!?

Sure. Just set man->available_caching and man->default_caching as in the
AGP case in radeon_init_mem_type().

> PCIGART was working "somehow" on my platform up to the ~2.6.39 kernel,
> i.e. I could login to GNOME and open a program until the machine
> locked-up. :-)

But it's worse with newer kernels?

> BTW: I see that the uninorth driver defines needs_scratch_page. What
> is this actually good for?

It causes the code in drivers/char/agp/backend.c to allocate a scratch
page (bridge->scratch_page) which the driver can use for unused GART
entries.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com