PowerPC radeon KMS - is it possible?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Apr 23 19:56:06 EST 2012

On Fre, 2012-04-20 at 18:14 +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > Von: "Michel Dänzer" <michel at daenzer.net>

> > > I know. We also discussed this topic over two years ago. :-)
> > >
> > > What I didn't understand yet is how this uncacheable memory is
> > > allocated (well, I never took the time to look at this again). The
> > > functions in ttm_page_alloc.c seem to allocate normal cacheable
> > > memory and try to set the page flags with set_pages_array_uc(),
> > > which is more or less a no-op on powerpc. ttm_page_alloc_dma.c on
> > > the other side is only used with SWIOTLB!?
> > [...]
> > > Could it be that the memory is finally mapped uncacheable by
> > radeon_bo_kmap()/
> > > ttm_bo_kmap()/..some other TTM functions../vmap()?
> >
> > Yeah, AFAICT, basically ttm_io_prot() defines the mapping attributes,
> > and vmap() is used to enforce them for kernel mappings.
> Okay, that sounds like the approach used by arch/powerpc/mm/dma-
> noncoherent.c in my ("green") ears. What about the PCIGART mode?
> Is the driver free to use cached memory in this mode?

Yes, it assumes PCI(e) GART to be CPU cache coherent.

> > > [    5.878809] [drm:radeon_test_moves] *ERROR* Incorrect VRAM->GTT copy 0: Got 0xf1416ec0, expected 0xf1570ec0 (VRAM map 0xf1480000-0xf1580000)
> > [...]
> > > The VRAM->GTT copy totally puzzles me, as it returns a wrong page
> > > address, but the offset is fine!?
> >
> > Maybe it's still the values from the GTT->VRAM test, i.e. either the GPU
> > writes didn't make it to the memory mapped into the AGP GART (some AGP
> > bridges are known to have issues with that) or the CPU doesn't see it.
> What is the workaround for such an AGP bridge? If there is one at all...

The only workaround short of not using AGP would be not doing GPU->AGP
transfers, but that's not implemented or even planned at all.

> > BTW, does your driver set cant_use_aperture, or is the linear aperture
> > accessible by the CPU?
> The driver sets cant_use_aperture. I couldn't get it working at all
> without it.

Does the hardware really not allow the CPU to access the linear aperture
though? Because if it does, I wonder if that might be more reliable.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com