PowerPC radeon KMS - is it possible?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Apr 18 20:34:52 EST 2012

On Mit, 2012-04-18 at 20:20 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:02 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > > GPU lockup appears to be a common problem with the radeon driver.
> >
> > It's what happens when anything goes wrong with the GPU. If it doesn't
> > happen with agpmode=-1, it's probably an AGP related coherency issue.
>
> I had some success hacking the DRM to do an in_le32 from the ring head
> after writing it. Just a gross hack but it seemed to help on a G5.

AFAICT radeon_ring_commit() does that already:

        DRM_MEMORYBARRIER();
        WREG32(ring->wptr_reg, (ring->wptr << ring->ptr_reg_shift) & ring->ptr_reg_mask);
        (void)RREG32(ring->wptr_reg);

We added the readback about a decade ago. :)

> I suspect there's a fundamental design issue with apple bridge in that
> the CPU to memory path isn't coherent at all with the GPU to memory path
> ie. even vs. cache flush instructions (ie buffers in the memory
> controllers can still be out of sync).
>
> Darwin does some gross hacks to work around that, some of them visible
> in the AGP drivers, some burried in the Apple driver, I don't know for
> sure. It's possible that they end up mapping all AGP memory as cache
> inhibited, but we can't do that because of our linear mapping.

We are doing that though...

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com