mpc5200b: invalid IRQ

Cyril Strejc strejc at unicontrols.cz
Thu Apr 12 21:41:56 EST 2012

Hi,

I've just tried to boot 2.6.32, 3.0 and mainline kernel on my mpc5200b
based board, on 3.0 and mainline resulting in

mpc52xx_irqhost_map: invalid irq: virq=16, l1=0, l2=3

The device tree is based on mpc5200b.dtsi, hence the invalid irq comes from

gpio_wkup: gpio at c00 {
      interrupts = <1 8 0 0 3 0>;
};

Being new in the kernel powerpc internals, I've found, that in the
kernel 2.6.32 interrupts section has no generic meaning and specific
device driver should handle it itself. Since commit
ac80a51e2ce5c431de9997085f33cb6093218b1f (of/device: populate
platform_device (of_device) resource table on allocation) interrupts
section is handled by of_device_alloc and irq mapping is done regardless
of specific device driver.

In 2.6.32, gpio_wkup interrupts section was unused in my case, so never
had a problem. Since the commit, mpc5200-pic driver is asked to make a
mapping during platform bus initialization resulting in the "invalid
irq" error.

There are four critical interrupts on MPC5200b, but only IRQ[0] critical
interrupt is handled by mpc5200-pic driver, the others, like WakeUp from
deep-sleep mode (CCS) interrupt (my case) are not.

I do not need WakeUp interrupt and I think I can simply remove gpio_wkup
interrupts section from the device tree, but I would like to ask you,
what does it mean. If it is mpc5200-pic driver's incompleteness or some
other error.

Thanks.

Cyril Strejc