VFIO v2 design plan

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Fri Sep 2 15:07:48 EST 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:27:00PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 14:10 +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:51:38AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
[snip]

> > > The device fds for the group to be unmerged must be closed before an
> > > unmerge.  The iommu fd is tricky.  The iommu fd is really the iommu for
> > > the merged group, not the individual groups, so it's context stays with
> > > the remaining group.  Therefore I don't enforce a refcnt on the iommu
> > > fd.  The usage model I expect is that if a merge works, the user will
> > > probably use a single iommu fd for the whole merged group.  Maybe that
> > > should be enforced?
> >
> > I thought I recalled you saying earlier that the iommu fd could not be
> > open when merging new groups in.  I would expect that also to be true
> > when unmerging in that case.
>
> We have to support hotplug.  The group-to-be-merged can't be in use (no
> open device or iommu fds).  To unmerge a group, we only require that no
> device fds are in use as the merged-group-iommu may still be in use by
> the remaining members.

I'm not entirely clear how this relates to hotplug.  But I guess the
crucial point is that the group-to-be-merged may not have open device
or iommu fds, but the group-to-be-merged-into can?

But couldn't either a merge or an unmerge cause a change in the
effective capabilities of the IOMMU?

> > > Simple, don't allow merging and unmerging of merged groups.  Merge and
> > > unmerge only work on singleton groups.
> >
> > Ok, in that case I think we should call it "add" and "remove" rather
> > than merge and unmerge.
> >
> > >  The last case we must support.
> > > In that case you just use:
> > >
> > > ioctl(a.fd, VFIO_GROUP_MERGE, b.fd)
> > > ioctl(b.fd, VFIO_GROUP_UNMERGE, a.fd)
> > >
> > > The groups are peers when merged, so b can remove a as easily as a can
> > > remove b.  Group b is left with any iommu context setup while
> > > merged.
> >
> > Um *goes cross-eyed*.  So, if you open (atomic) groups a and b, then
> > add group b to a, are the two open fds now functionally identical?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And likewise if you then open either a or b again straight from from
> > /dev/vfio?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Except, that the b fd must then retain the fact that it was originally
> > for atomic group (b), so that it can be used as a handle for an
> > unmerge/remove.
>
> Right.

Ugh.  Having the file handle represent the meta-group for most
purposes, but also represent (invisibly) an atomic group is just
horrible.  Especially when - using one of the examples mentioned
above, it's actually possible to remove the atomic group represented
by an fd from the meta-group it's also representing.

> > The more I dig into the details of these semantics the more I dislike
> > them.
>
> Suggest something better.  I spent half a day thinking about what vfio
> would look like in configfs, it has some very appealing aspects, but
> since it doesn't support ioctls we'd still have a chardev interface and
> it gets ugly again.

Well, again, I prefer a persistent group interface, where the
meta-group is not bound to the lifetime of a file handle.  Instead you
use a different interface to create a meta-group (which has an ID
disjoint from the atomic groups), then you can open
/dev/vfio/<metagroup-id>.  The constituent atomic group devices are
still visible, and their enumeration interface works, but are otherwise
unusable (like a group which still has kernel drivers bound to some
constituent devices).

Hrm.  In the interests of making forward progress here, can I suggest
we implement the other APIs without group-binding/metagrouping for
now.  It doesn't look as if any of the suggested approaches for this
so far are fundamentally incompatible with the rest of the interface.

[snip]

> > > And what if the remove is initiated by a hardware admin that walks over
> > > to the system, and presses the PCI device hot unplug doorbell?  It just
> > > looks like a driver hang.  Thanks,
> >
> > Hm, true.  How is this case handled on the host side?
>
> Same as if you attempt to unbind the device from the driver, release
> callback, iirc.  Thanks,

Roght, I guess my point is whether there's some kind of userspace
notification or not.  If there is, then it's reasonable to do a soft
unbind, and the userspace callback can do a hard kill after a delay.
If not, then it does need to be a hard unbind / kill.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson