Login prompt on a video console instead of serial port?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 3 15:41:04 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 15:02 -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> > Don't you have to spawn a terminal on the framebuffer for the login?
>
> I suppose, but I don't know how to do that.  And although that would technically
> answer the question in the subject of this thread, I still would have *some*
> boot output on the serial port.  It would be nice if I could get all of stdout
> on the video display, and all of stdin from the serial port.

I don't think we have a way to do that unless you can make a serial
"keyboard" device in the input layer. The VT layer will only get its
input from such a thing, maybe that does exist in the depth of legacy
code in there but it has nothing to do with your device-tree.

> > Right now getty spawns the login on the serial port via /etc/inittab.
> > Something similiar is probably needed for the framebuffer.
>
> getty appears to work only with serial devices, since it insists on a baud rate
> as one of the parameters.

No, or no existing distro would work :-)

Just fake a baudrate for the tty's

Cheers,
Ben.