RFC: top level compatibles for virtual platforms

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Jul 12 07:06:46 EST 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:41:35 -0500
Yoder Stuart-B08248 <B08248 at freescale.com> wrote:

> [...]

A hack is usually easier than doing it right. :-)

Though often the effort required for the latter is overstated, and the
"right long term thing" never makes the jump to "short term plan".

There are a few things that need to be driven off the device tree that
currently aren't -- using some mechanism other than the standard
device model, if necessary (or as a first step) -- and then we need a
does-nothing default platform as the match of last resort.

> However, they _are_ compatible with MPC8544DS and P4080DS so maybe
> leaving the compatible string alone is ok for now.

The virtual platforms are not compatible with MPC8544DS or P4080DS.  Only a
subset of what is on those boards is provided.  And in the case of direct
device assignment, often the things that are present are incompatible (e.g.
different type of eTSEC).

-Scott