FSL DMA engine transfer to PCI memory

Ira W. Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 26 03:29:47 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 04:32:02PM +0200, Felix Radensky wrote:
> Hi Ira,
>
> On 01/25/2011 02:18 AM, Ira W. Snyder wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 01:39:39AM +0200, Felix Radensky wrote:
> >> Hi Ira, Scott

> >> Thanks for your help. I'm now passing the result of
> >> pci_resource_start(pdev, 0)
> >> as destination address, and destination buffer changes after the
> >> transfer. But
> >> the contents of source and destination buffers are different. What
> >> else could
> >> be wrong ?
> >>
> > After you changed the dst address to pci_resource_start(pdev, 0), I
> > don't see anything wrong with the code.
> >
> > Try using memcpy_toio() to copy some bytes to the FPGA. Also try writing
> > a single byte at a time (writeb()?) in a loop. This should help
> > establish that your device is working.
> >
> > If you put some pattern in your src buffer (such as 0x0, 0x1, 0x2, ...
> > 0xff, repeat) does the destination show some pattern after the DMA
> > completes? (Such as, every 4th byte is correct.)
> >
> > Ira
>
> memcpy_toio() works fine, the data is written correctly. After
> DMA, the correct data appears at offsets 0xC, 0x1C, 0x2C, etc.
> of the destination buffer. I have 12 bytes of junk, 4 bytes of
> correct data, then again 12 bytes of junk and so on.

This sounds like your FPGA doesn't handle burst mode accesses correctly.
A logic analyzer will help you prove it.

Another quick test to try is using an unaligned transfer and see what
happens. The 83xx DMA controller handles unaligned transfers by doing
several small, non-burst transfers until the src and dst are aligned,
and then does cacheline size burst transfers until complete. I hunch the
85xx/86xx controller behaves the same way.

Something like this:

dma_src = dma_map_single(...);
dma_dst = pci_resource_start(pdev, 0) + 1;

Notice that the dst address is offset by one byte, so you'll need to
take that into account when comparing data after the transfer.

Ira