ibm_newemac tx problem with jumbo frame enabled

Prashant Bhole prashantsmailcenter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 00:01:59 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <
benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 13:35 +0530, Prashant Bhole wrote:
> > Still couldn't find anything like fifo overflow...
> > I noticed one more thing, this problem happens only when mtu size on
> > the initiator (the other end) is set to 4088, regardless of any mtu
> > size set for EMAC.
>
> Did you check all the registers that may carry errors ? Nothing showed
> up ? Did you check that things like Pause frames were properly
> negociated on both sides ? Tried playing with the pause and FIFO
> thresholds ?
>
> Other than using the tx timeout to perform resets I don't see a good way
> to fix that problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben.

I checked RX descriptor status and TX descriptor status and ethtool output.
However I don't know about pause packet/frame, how do I check if pause
frames are properly negotiated on both sides?
I need to try changing pause and FIFO thresholds.

ethtool output after disconnection is as follows:
# ethtool -S eth0
NIC statistics:
     rx_packets: 330939
     rx_bytes: 804963241