device not available because of BAR 0 collisions

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Apr 26 10:01:54 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 16:10 -0400, Steven A. Falco wrote:
> I'm getting an error message when trying to talk to some custom
> hardware:
>
> dx83xx 0001:43:00.0: device not available because of BAR 0
> [0xa1000000-0xa1ffffff] collisions
>
> I see in setup-res.c that this message comes out when there is no
> parent for
> a device resource.

 .../...

It mostly happens in arch/powerpc/kernel/pci-common.c and the generic
setup-res.c

Try #define DEBUG at the top (before the #includes) of pci-common.c and
pci_32.c (remove the exiting #undef in the last one) and send us the
full dmesg log, along with the output of cat /proc/iomem

Cheers,
Ben.