Where is CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD ?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 14 12:52:07 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 19:03 +0200, Joachim Förster wrote:
> Note that the default 0x400... is the link address of the zImage
> wrapper
> rather than the one of THE kernel.
>
> Currently the link address seems to be hard-coded into
> arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper
> (a shell script). Since long ago I'm wondering why the maintainers
> did
> that. But I guess there is a reason, because it wasn't that way in
> the
> old arch/ppc days ;-) ...
>
> Is configuring the zImage-piggy-back-loader through menuconfig & co
> evil?

Well, not really evil but if you need a special setting for your board,
you add a case for that board in the wrapper script. The idea is that
the boot wrapper can be build outside of the kernel build tree itself.

IE. A distro could (and sometimes do) ship with the standalone boot
directory, possibly the .o's already built, and will "wrap" the zImage
at install time.

Cheers,
Ben.