How to define an I2C-to-SPI bridge device ?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Fri Sep 10 03:06:46 EST 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:36:19AM +0200, André Schwarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're about to get new MPC8377 based hardware with various peripherals.
> There are two I2C-to-SPI bridge devices (NXP SC18IS602) and I'm not sure
> how to define a proper dts...
>
> Of course it's an easy thing creating 2 child nodes on the CPU's I2C
> device - but how can I represent the created SPI bus ?
>
> Is the (possibly) required driver (of_sc18is60x_spi ?) supposed to be an
> I2C slave or an SPI host driver ?

Both!  The driver would get probed from the i2c bus, and it would
create and register an spi master.  If the spi bus registration
includes a pointer to the device tree node, then the child nodes will
automatically be registered as spi_devices.

The dts is also fairly straight forward:

i2c-bus: i2c at 80001000 {
	compatible = <blah>;
	#address-cells = <1>;
	#size-cells = <0>;