Where to put board-specific drivers

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Sep 3 06:17:52 EST 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Ira W. Snyder wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've written several drivers for a custom board. The board is basically
> an mpc8349_mds board with some extra FPGAs for data processing.
>
> All of the drivers were written to interface with a custom system
> controller FPGA, which handles things like LED control, FPGA
> programming, and fast data dumping from the data processing FPGAs.
>
> I'd like to start pushing some of these drivers into mainline, but I
> don't know where to put them. I don't think drivers/ is appropriate:
> these are highly board specific. Does arch/powerpc/ have a recommended
> place for board-specific drivers? I was thinking about
> arch/powerpc/drivers/, however that doesn't exist.

If we decide to put them under arch/powerpc I'd suggest arch/powerpc/platform/83xx/BOARDNAME/

However I'm not sure I think this is a good idea.  We specifically moved drivers out of arch/ppc land so they would get proper review via the proper subsystem maintainers.  So if its truly unique / simple board drivers than the location I suggested is probably fine.  If its something that a subsystem exists than I do think it should be down in the subsystem driver dir.

- k