powerpc, fs_enet: scanning PHY after Linux is up

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Oct 7 04:30:19 EST 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Holger brunck <holger.brunck at keymile.com> wrote:

>>> One option would be to still register a phy_device for each phy
>>> described in the device tree, but defer binding a driver to each phy
>>> that doesn't respond.  Then at of_phy_find_device() time, if it
>>
>> Maybe I din;t get the trick, but the problem is, that
>> you can;t register a phy_device in drivers/of/of_mdio.c
>> of_mdiobus_register(), if the phy didn;t respond with the
>> phy_id ... and of_phy_find_device() is not (yet) used in fs_enet
>>
>>> matches with a phy_device that isn't bound to a driver yet, then
>>> re-trigger the binding operation.  At which point the phy id can be
>>> probed and the correct driver can be chosen.  If binding succeeds,
>>> then return the phy_device handle.  If not, then fail as it currently
>>> does.
>>
>> Wouldn;t it be good, just if we need a PHY (on calling fs_enet_open)
>> to look if there is one?
>>
>> Something like that (not tested):
>>
>> in drivers/net/fs_enet/fs_enet-main.c in fs_init_phy()
>> called from fs_enet_open():
>>
>> Do first:
>> phydev =  of_phy_find_device(fep->fpi->phy_node);
>>
>> Look if there is a driver (phy_dev->drv == NULL ?)
>>
>> If not, call new function
>> of_mdiobus_register_phy(mii_bus, fep->fpi->phy_node)
>> see below patch for it.
>>
>> If this succeeds, all is OK, and we can use this phy,
>> else ethernet not work.
>>
>> !!just no idea, how to get mii_bus pointer ...
>>

> in my understanding it should be posssible to get this pointer via the parent of
> the device_node you got via the private data of the fs_enet:
> fep->fpi->phy_node->parent should point you to the device_node for the mdio_bus.

Yes, this will give you the mdio bus node pointer.

> In the next step you should be able to get the pointer of of_device for the
> mdio_bus:
> ofdevice* ofdev = to_of_device(fep->fpi->phy_node->parent);

of_device is just an alias for platform_device now, and not all mdio
busses will be instantiated by a platform device.  This method won't
always work.  What is really needed is the pointer to the mii_bus
structure.  That can be obtained by looping over the members of the
mdio_bus_class and comparing the mii_bus->device.parent->of_node to
the parent node from above.

g.