RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Fri Nov 26 15:42:25 EST 2010

On 11/25/2010 5:15 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 09:17 -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Michael Ellerman
>> <michael at ellerman.id.au>  wrote:

>>> I'm still hoping, but so far it seems most people have got better things
>>> to do, and of those that do have an opinion the balance is slightly
>>> positive.
>>
>> I assume you'll be also publishing the script that you use for
>> generating the massive patch.  I expect that there will be a few
>> iterations of running the rename script to convert over all the
>> stragglers.
>
> Yep sure, I'll just make it less crap first.
>
>> It should also be negotiated with Linus about when this
>> patch should get applied.  I do NOT want to cause massive merge pain
>> during the merge window.
>
> Obviously.
>
>> Andrew/Linus: Before Michael proceeds too far with this rename, are
>> you okay with a mass rename of the device tree functions from of_* to
>> dt_*?  Nobody likes the ambiguous 'of_' prefix ("of?  of what?"), but
>> to fix it means large cross-tree patches and potential merge
>> conflicts.
>
> It'd also be good to hear from DaveM, sparc is the platform with the
> strongest link to real OF AFAIK, so the of_() names make more sense
> there.

One Laptop Per Child ships real Open Firmware on its x86 Linux systems,
of which approximately 2 million have been shipped or ordered.  An ARM
version, also with OFW, is in the works.  From the standpoint of "number
of units in the field actually running Linux", I expect that compares
favorably with SPARC.

That said, I don't particularly like the abbreviation "of" either; I
abbreviate Open Firmware as "OFW".

I don't mind using "dt_" to apply to device tree things; I think it's
clearer than "of_".   Ideally, it would be nice to acknowledge the
historical connection in some way, but confusing nomenclature probably
is not the way to go about it.