RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Fri Nov 26 14:15:41 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 09:17 -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Michael Ellerman
> <michael at ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 01:03 +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> There were some murmurings on IRC last week about renaming the of_*()
> >> routines.
> >> The thinking is that on many platforms that use the of_() routines
> >> OpenFirmware is not involved at all, this is true even on many powerpc
> >> platforms. Also for folks who don't know the OpenFirmware connection
> >> it reads as "of", as in "a can of worms".
> >> So I'm hoping people with either say "YES this is a great idea", or "NO
> >> this is stupid".
> >
> > I'm still hoping, but so far it seems most people have got better things
> > to do, and of those that do have an opinion the balance is slightly
> > positive.
>
> I assume you'll be also publishing the script that you use for
> generating the massive patch.  I expect that there will be a few
> iterations of running the rename script to convert over all the
> stragglers.

Yep sure, I'll just make it less crap first.

> It should also be negotiated with Linus about when this
> patch should get applied.  I do NOT want to cause massive merge pain
> during the merge window.

Obviously.

> Andrew/Linus: Before Michael proceeds too far with this rename, are
> you okay with a mass rename of the device tree functions from of_* to
> dt_*?  Nobody likes the ambiguous 'of_' prefix ("of?  of what?"), but
> to fix it means large cross-tree patches and potential merge
> conflicts.

It'd also be good to hear from DaveM, sparc is the platform with the
strongest link to real OF AFAIK, so the of_() names make more sense
there.

> > So here's a first cut of a patch to add the new names. I've not touched
> > of_platform because that is supposed to go away. That will lead to some
> > odd looking code in the interim, but I think is the right approach.
>
> I would split it up into separate dt*.h files, one for each of*.h file
> so that the #include lines can be changed in the C code at the same
> time.  Each dt*.h file would include it's of*.h counterpart.  Then
> after the code is renamed, and a release or two has passed to catch
> the majority of users, the old definitions can be moved into the dt*.h
> files.

Yep that sounds like a plan. I did it as a single header for starters so
I could autogenerate the rename script easily.

> However, it may be better to move and rename the definitions
> immediately, and leave "#define of_*  dt_*" macros in the old of*.h
> files which can be removed with a simple patch after all the users are
> converted.  That would have a smaller impact in the cleanup stage.

True, though a bigger impact to start with. I did that originally but
decided it might be better to start with the minimal patch to add the
new names. That way Linus might accept it this release, meaning we'd
have the new names in place for code in -next.

> > Most of these are straight renames, but some have changed more
> > substantially. The routines for the flat tree have all become fdt_foo().
> > I'd be inclined to drop "early_init" from them too, because they're
> > basically all about early init, but Grant said he'd prefer not to I
> > think. I've also renamed the flat tree tag constants to match libfdt.
>
> It is all about early init now in Linus' tree, but Stephen
> Neuendorffer has patches that use the fdt code at driver probe time
> for parsing device tree fragments that describe an FPGA add-in board.

OK fair enough.

> > I've left for_each_child_of_node(), because I read it as "of", but maybe
> > it's "OF"?
>
> hahaha!  I never considered that it might be OF, but now I probably
> won't be able to help but read it that way!  I like Geert's suggestion
> of dt_for_each_child_node

OK, I like it the way it is, but if the consensus is to change it then
we can. There's a bunch actually:

for_each_node_by_name(dn, name) \
for_each_node_by_type(dn, type) \
for_each_compatible_node(dn, type, compatible) \
for_each_matching_node(dn, matches) \
for_each_child_of_node(parent, child) \
for_each_node_with_property(dn, prop_name) \

So either dt_for_each_blah(), or for_each_dt_node_blah() ?

> > /* include/linux/device.h */
> > #define dt_match_table                  of_match_table
> > #define dt_node                         of_node
>
> This could be very messy.  I've nervous about using #define to rename
> structure members.  You'll need to check that any structure members
> that use the same name as a global symbol are handled appropriately.

I'm not sure what you mean about global symbols.

I think it's fairly safe, in that direction, ie. defining the dt_*
names. Neither of those strings appears anywhere in the tree at the
moment (as a token).

cheers