Continual reading from the PowerPc time base register is not stable

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 26 12:55:27 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 09:11 +0800, Csdncannon wrote:
> After trying the new code with "isync" and unsigned long long
> convertion, this problem doesn't happen(I tested for several minutes).
> But the previous block of codes(lacking of isync) is borrowed from
> kernel. And if this is a bug of kernel?

There's an outstanding question about that. Some processors make mftb
context synchronizing but it appears that it may not be the case for all
of them.

Thus indeed, we -might- need some isync's in some places, it's not
totally clear to me though.

Can you send the code that fails (without the isync) ? The one you sent
did have them everywhere.

Cheers,
Ben.