Problem with PCI bus rescan on 460EX

Kenji Kaneshige kaneshige.kenji at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 15 20:00:31 EST 2010

Felix Radensky wrote:
> Hello Kenji-san,
>
> Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
>> Felix Radensky wrote:

>>> Yes, with these lines removed bridge memory window is properly
>>> allocated.
>>
>> These lines are to prevent updating IO or memory windows when there are
>> some devices working behind the bridge. So please note that removing
>> these lines is just for debugging.
>>

>>> For some reason bridge memory is disabled, but if I enable it via
>>> setpci, and
>>> also enable device memory, then everything works fine. If the system
>>> is booted
>>> when device behind the bridge is plugged in, bridge memory is enabled.
>>>

>> Maybe because of the following lines, I guess.
>>
>> void pci_enable_bridges(struct pci_bus *bus)
>> {
>>        struct pci_dev *dev;
>>        int retval;
>>
>>        list_for_each_entry(dev, &bus->devices, bus_list) {
>>                if (dev->subordinate) {
>>                        if (!pci_is_enabled(dev)) {        <=======
>>                                retval = pci_enable_device(dev);<=======
>>                                pci_set_master(dev);        <=======
>>                        }
>>

> Yes, but removing this check is not enough. The bridge is enabled after
> first scan, but it's
> memory is disabled. So simply calling  pci_enable_device() will not
> help, it will return without
> enabling memory. I had to call  pci_disable_device() before
> pci_enable_device() to make things
> work.
>> One possible cause is that pcibios_enable_device() for the bridge didn't
>> return any error even though it didn't work properly (ex. cannot access
>> to the command register, and so on) on your platform when there is no
>> device behind the bridge. But it is just my guess.
> Should pcibios_enable_device() return an error if it fails to enable
> bridge memory ?

I think the device is expected to be ready to work if pci_enable_device()
returns without error. So I think pci_enable_device() should return an
error if it fails to enable the device (device is not ready to work). In
this case, detecting your bridge's failure seems PPC specific to me. So I
thought pcibios_enable_device() was the right to return an error. If
pcibios_enable_device() returned an error, pci_dev->enable_cnt would
decremented by pci_enable_device() (like pci_disable_device() does) and
this problem would not happen.

On the other hand, as Ben suggested, handling this by specific hot-plug
driver would be one of the other candidate to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige