Problem with PCI bus rescan on 460EX

Felix Radensky felix at embedded-sol.com
Mon Mar 15 17:09:05 EST 2010

Hello Kenji-san,

Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
> Felix Radensky wrote:
>> Hello Kenji-san,
>>
>> Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
>>> I'm not sure, but I guess pci_setup_bridge() didn't update IO
>>> base/limit
>>> and Mem base/limit of the bridge (0000:00:02.0) because of the
>>> following
>>> lines.
>>>
>>> static void pci_setup_bridge(struct pci_bus *bus)
>>> {
>>>        struct pci_dev *bridge = bus->self;
>>>        struct resource *res;
>>>        struct pci_bus_region region;
>>>        u32 l, bu, lu, io_upper16;
>>>
>>>        if (pci_is_enabled(bridge))
>>> <===============================
>>> return;            <===============================
>>>
>>>        dev_info(&bridge->dev, "PCI bridge to [bus %02x-%02x]\n",
>>>                 bus->secondary, bus->subordinate);
>>>
>>> It seems the bridge was already enabled by
>>> pci_assign_unassigned_resources()
>>> at boot time. Does removing those lines make any change?
>>>

>> Yes, with these lines removed bridge memory window is properly
>> allocated.
>
> These lines are to prevent updating IO or memory windows when there are
> some devices working behind the bridge. So please note that removing
> these lines is just for debugging.
>

>> For some reason bridge memory is disabled, but if I enable it via
>> setpci, and
>> also enable device memory, then everything works fine. If the system
>> is booted
>> when device behind the bridge is plugged in, bridge memory is enabled.
>>

> Maybe because of the following lines, I guess.
>
> void pci_enable_bridges(struct pci_bus *bus)
> {
>        struct pci_dev *dev;
>        int retval;
>
>        list_for_each_entry(dev, &bus->devices, bus_list) {
>                if (dev->subordinate) {
>                        if (!pci_is_enabled(dev)) {        <=======
>                                retval = pci_enable_device(dev);<=======
>                                pci_set_master(dev);        <=======
>                        }

Yes, but removing this check is not enough. The bridge is enabled after
first scan, but it's
memory is disabled. So simply calling  pci_enable_device() will not
help, it will return without
enabling memory. I had to call  pci_disable_device() before
pci_enable_device() to make things
work.
> One possible cause is that pcibios_enable_device() for the bridge didn't
> return any error even though it didn't work properly (ex. cannot access
> to the command register, and so on) on your platform when there is no
> device behind the bridge. But it is just my guess.
Should pcibios_enable_device() return an error if it fails to enable
bridge memory ?

Thanks.

Felix.