mount ramdisk rootfs /etc directory to jffs2 filesystem.

Matthias Kaehlcke matthias at kaehlcke.net
Wed Jan 20 21:21:45 EST 2010

El Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:57:44AM +0100 Marco Stornelli ha dit:

> 2010/1/20 Johnny Hung <johnny.hacking at gmail.com>:
> > 2010/1/19 Matthias Kaehlcke <matthias at kaehlcke.net>:
> >> El Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 02:17:22PM +0100 Ricard Wanderlof ha dit:
> >>
> > I consider to use ramdisk as rootfs because worry about wrong
> > operation in rootfs (is use jffs2 rootfs) and it will cause system
> > boot up failed.
> > Another query, does the syslogd/klogd log files also store in jffs2
> > rootfs? Write to jffs2 frequently will reduce flash life cycle.
> >
> > BRs, H. Johnny
> >>
> >> --
>
> In general a good splitting for rootfs could be: squashfs for rootfs,
> tmpfs for volatile data (/tmp), ubifs (with a flash partition) for
> "strong" permanent data (/etc, ....) and pramfs for "light" permanent
> data (/var/log, .....).

if ubifs is a good choice depends on the size of the partition, iirc
it has a significant overhead for very small partitions.

once using ubi it could be interesting to set up the read-only rootfs
partition upon ubi in order to spread the wear out over a maximum of blocks.

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Developer

            You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even
          destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind
                            (Mahatma Gandhi)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-