TBI interface

Hillery, Nathan nhillery at sixisinc.com
Thu Feb 25 16:34:52 EST 2010

I have a system with an SGMII interface on an MPC8536E, attached to a
Marvel 88E6152 Ethernet switch chip.  I can access Ethernet from u-boot,
if I initially configure the MII "phy" and the switch port PHY to
disable auto-negotiation and assert link up.  The link speed is 10Mbps
and it is half-duplex.  When u-boot starts, reports that it didn't
recognize a PHY 0xFFFF id, and says it will assume a generic phy.

Obviously, I'd like to run without having to manually configure and have
it run at 1gbps, full-duplex.

However, I am not able to get linux to recognize the device - it reports
that a ten-bit interface (TBI) is required for SGMII and it can't find
one.  I have a tbi-phy entry in the device-tree file.  Here's the
relevant snippet:

                mdio at 24520 {

                        #address-cells = <1>;

                        #size-cells = <0>;

                        compatible = "fsl,gianfar-tbi";

                        reg = <0x24520 0x20>;

                        phy0: ethernet-phy at 0x10 {

                                interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;

                                interrupts = <10 0x1>;

                                reg = <0x10>;

                                device_type = "ethernet-phy";

                        };

                        tbi0: tbi-phy at 4 {

                                reg = <0x4>;

                                device_type = "tbi-phy";

                        };

                };

                                enet0: ethernet at 24000 {

                                                cell-index = <0>;

                                                device_type = "network";

                                                model = "eTSEC";

                                                compatible = "gianfar";

                                                reg = <0x24000 0x1000>;

                                                local-mac-address = [ 00
00 00 00 00 00 ];

                                                interrupts = <29 2 30 2
34 2>;

                                                interrupt-parent =
<&mpic>;

                                                tbi-handle = <&tbi0>;

                                                phy-handle = <&phy0>;

                                                phy-connection-type =
"sgmii";

                                                fsl,magic-packet;

                                                fsl,wake-on-filer;

                                };

The processor has an MDIO interface to the switch.  The switch port PHYs
are 0x10, 0x11, 0x12, 0x13, 0x17, and 0x19. I picked 4 for the TBI
arbitrarily (but seeking to avoid conflicting a PHY address).

Any hints will be appreciated.