State of PREEMPT_RT in PPC arch

Wolfram Sang w.sang at pengutronix.de
Fri Feb 19 19:54:50 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:34:28PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Wolfram Sang <w.sang at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm soliciting comments from the community. Thanks in advance for
> > > sharing your thoughts.
> >
> > Mainline your driver and you are free from such problems :)
>
> Shouldn't it be the opposite way? That is, get drivers working first
> then mainline them? I even don't have a working driver with RT patch.

If you have problems getting your driver to mainline, the lists are there to
help. Of course, this implies working with a recent kernel (which also answers
your initial question a bit). Most people don't want to supprt old kernels like
2.6.2x in their freetime. You can get commercial support for such tasks (be it
my employer or other consultants on this list).

> and discussions about them, kinda dedicated to active developers. Is
> there a place that users or not-so-active developers can post
> technical questions and get some relatively quick answers or comments?

The list was apropriate. As all people are busy by default, getting no response
is not that exceptional. If you need a fast response, you should consider
commercial support.

Regards,

   Wolfram

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |