MPC831x (and others?) NAND erase performance improvements

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Dec 9 09:25:59 EST 2010

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:02:45 -0500
Mark Mason <mason at postdiluvian.org> wrote:

> I don't think that using a software NAND controller instead of the LBC
> FCM mode is all that bad.  Again, I haven't actually done it, so check
> the MTD docs, but I'm pretty sure the software is meant to do that, so
> it doesn't even really constitute a "fix".  Assuming that it is
> supported then I doubt that configuring the NAND layer to use your
> setup would be any harder than configuring the FCM.

The MTD layer supports some really simple NAND controllers, but what do
you mean by not having a controller at all?  Hooking everything up to
GPIO?  Using UPM?

There is already a UPM NAND driver, BTW.

You would lose hardware ECC and the ability to be interrupt-driven (the
latter should be possible with SW changes, using GPIO interrupts).

-Scott