AW: PowerPC PCI DMA issues (prefetch/coherency?)

Tom Burns tburns at datacast.com
Fri Sep 11 05:53:37 EST 2009

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your help.

I've been looking into the other dma/pci API calls (dma_alloc_coherent,
pci_alloc_consistent).  I don't see how either of these return memory
mapped to a TLB with the I bit set to 1 in kernel 2.6.24.  In our kernel
code, the only use of the PPC44x_TLB_I define is in head_44x.S in
_start.  We have CONFIG_NON_COHERENT_CACHE enabled.

We changed our code to use dma_alloc_coherent, removed our manual
cacheline flushing, and saw the corrupted data return.  To me this means
dma_alloc_coherent cannot be setting the I=1 bit in the TLB entry.

I tried, using our JTAG debugger (BDI3000), to pause operation after
calling dma_alloc_coherent to examine the TLB entry for the memory
returned by the call (which was just past
CONFIG_CONSISTENT_START=0xff100000).  The TLB list loaded at the time
that I paused operation did not show a mapping for this area.  I guess
the kernel swaps TLB entries on the fly so it isn't limited to only 64
entries?  I will try to sleep in the same context as the
dma_alloc_coherent call to try to catch the TLB entry while loaded to
see if it has the I bit set.

If that fails, any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom Burns