Fw: Help with SPI node

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Nov 21 18:57:11 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Ravi Shekhar <Ravi.Shekhar at lntemsys.com> wrote:

>  I'm attempting to get SPI to work on my embedded design
>  that is based on the mpc8313erbd reference board wiht a
>  2.6.27 kernel.

Are you able to use a more recent kernel?  A lot of work has gone into
SPI drivers in the last 5 releases.

>  I cannot open the SPI device.
>  Tracing through the kernel code, it looks like the device is
>  not being found in the DTB file.  However there is a
>  SPI node in there already described.  Our boards is a
> SPI master, and the device we will attach is a SPI
>  slave.  Could someone elaborate on what is needed in
>  the DTS file to have our SPI driver work and respond to an
>  open() call?

Look in Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/spi-bus.txt.  However, the
2.6.27 kernel may not have support for that binding on the mpc8313 SPI
bus driver (I'm not sure though, I haven't looked).

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.