Xilinx cygwin linux cross recommendations ?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Mar 20 22:17:46 EST 2009

David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
>     I have no experience with ELDK.
>     Have you used it ? Do you like it ?
>
>     When I started I mostly did a roll my own environment using crosstool.
>     I would have stuck to that except I can not get uclibc and it has
> not been updated in a long time.
>     Crosstool-ng did not support the ppc last time I looked.

Look again - PowerPC is quite well supported by CrossTool-ng

>     Today I use buildroot - mostly just to build a toolchain - I have
> never been able to get it to do many of the other things it is capable of.
>
>     I am not particularly fond (serious understatement)  of "integrated
> solve all the problems of the world" environments, they rarely work, and
> you must think inside their box.
>
>     I would be ecstatic with just a cygwin-linux-ppc-uclibc tool chain.

Why not just skip the torture (CygWin) and just run a virtual machine
on Windows [I assume you _have_ to have Windows].  Both VM-Ware and VirtualBox
handle this problem beautifully.  Then you have *Linux* for your development
environment, not some cobbled set of pieces...