Can't load module spi_mpc83xx : No such device

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Tue Mar 3 23:41:29 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 03:11:23PM +1100, Dushara Jayasinghe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> > Linus' tree is still lacking few patches for spi_mpc83xx driver, the
> > patches makes spi_mpc83xx work with the device tree directly.
>
> I modified the spi_mpc83xx to work with the device tree using
> mpc52xx_psc_spi.c as a guide.
> However, the device->dev->platform_data member is NULL (I thought
> the child node would provide that).
> What am I missing?

As I said, you should use -mm tree
( http://www.kernel.org/patchtypes/mm.html ), particularly these
patches:

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/spi_mpc83xx-rework-chip-selects-handling.patch
http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/spi_mpc83xx-add-of-platform-driver-bindings.patch

> I'm trying to create the SPI driver as a loadable module which
> will be used by the m25p80 chip driver (drivers/mtd/devices) which
> also will be a loadable module. Am I on the right track?

> > [...]
> > > Part of my device tree is as follows:
> > >
> > > 	soc8349 at e0000000 {
> > > 		spi at 7000 {
> > > 			#address-cells = <1>;
> > > 			#size-cells = <0>;
> > > 			compatible = "fsl,spi";
> > > 			reg = <0x7000 0x1000>;
> > > 			interrupts = <0x10 0x8>;
> > > 			interrupt-parent = < &ipic >;
> >
> > You don't seem to have any chip-selects (i.e. gpios = <>) specified.
>
> Could you elaborate on this point please? I couldn't find any examples of
> gpios defined within SPI nodes.

Here is MMC SPI slot example for MPC8323E-RDB boards:

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/powerpc-83xx-add-mmc-spi-support-via-the-device-tree-for-mpc8323e-rdb.patch

And documentation for the MMC SPI bindings:

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/powerpc-add-mmc-spi-slot-bindings.patch

The OF MMC SPI bindings themselves are in the latest Linus' tree
already:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/mmc/host/of_mmc_spi.c

For m25p80 chip you should do something similar.

Hope this helps,

--
Anton Vorontsov
email: cbouatmailru at gmail.com