Can't load module spi_mpc83xx : No such device

Dushara Jayasinghe DusharaJ at optiscan.com
Tue Mar 3 15:11:23 EST 2009

Hi All,

> Linus' tree is still lacking few patches for spi_mpc83xx driver, the
> patches makes spi_mpc83xx work with the device tree directly.

I modified the spi_mpc83xx to work with the device tree using mpc52xx_psc_spi.c as a guide.
However, the device->dev->platform_data member is NULL (I thought the child node would provide that).
What am I missing?

I'm trying to create the SPI driver as a loadable module which will be used by the m25p80 chip driver (drivers/mtd/devices) which also will be a loadable module. Am I on the right track?

> [...]
> > Part of my device tree is as follows:
> >
> > 	soc8349 at e0000000 {
> > 		spi at 7000 {
> > 			#address-cells = <1>;
> > 			#size-cells = <0>;
> > 			compatible = "fsl,spi";
> > 			reg = <0x7000 0x1000>;
> > 			interrupts = <0x10 0x8>;
> > 			interrupt-parent = < &ipic >;
>
> You don't seem to have any chip-selects (i.e. gpios = <>) specified.

Could you elaborate on this point please? I couldn't find any examples of gpios defined within SPI nodes.

[...]

> > 			m25p40 at 2 {
> > 				compatible = "m25p80";
> > 				spi-max-frequency = <25000000>;