PPCboot and latest kernel

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Jul 28 08:07:54 EST 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:06:42AM +0530, vijay sharma wrote:
> 2)Built cuImage and loaded it into memory. I am not seeing any output once
> control passes from wrapper to kernel. As you can see from logs mentioned
> above.

Try enabling early udbg console output.  Also, make sure that Linux is
using the correct baud rate (either with console= or by putting a
current-speed property in the serial node), and that your board file
matches the device tree's root compatible (i.e. the probe function will
succeed).

> While going through mail achieves I found two possible reasons for this
> 1) Wrong entries inside dts file
> I am sure serial attributes are correctly defined inside the file. Also it
> works for wrapper. It should work for linux also.

That does not follow.  There are many things that Linux depends on in the
tree that the wrapper does not care about.

> 2) PPCboot not providing information.
> I have built cuImage . Shouldn't kernel be getting its attributes from dtb
> file rather then depending on bd_info structure.
> I cannot upgrade to uboot. Is there some way I can make my board come up?

If you cannot upgrade to u-boot, then no, it should not be passing a
device tree since it is too old.  Dealing with old firmware that only
passes bd_t is what cuImage is for.

How about:

3) Something is wrong with the kernel port to this platform? :-)

-Scott